Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
Candidates must currently be a permanent Payroll Examiner 2 working for NYS and eligible for transfer; OR
Be reachable on the Civil Service List for Payroll Examiner 2; OR
Currently permanent in a title eligible for 70.1 transfer per Civil Service Rules and Regulations.
IF NO CANDIDATE MEET THE QUALIFICATIONS ABOVE, A PROVISIONAL APPOINTMENT CAN BE MADE IF A CANDIDATE POSSESSES THE FOLLOWING:
Must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had one year of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as follows:
As a Payroll Assistant, SG-9; Payroll Examiner 1, SG-12; or former title of Payroll Clerk 3, SG-14
Or in a clerical, keyboarding, or paraprofessional** title allocated to Grade 12 or higher.
Duties Description THE PAYROLL EXAMINER 2’s DUTIES INCLUDE, BUT ARE NOT LIMITED TO THE FOLLOWING:
Supervise staff of three, assign, distribute and explain various tasks to staff.
Maintain time and attendance records and arrange for time off for staff. Assess staff performance for evaluations.
Submit transactions to the Office of the State Comptroller.
Process transactions for employees who are in CSEA, PEF, MC, and Council 82.
Calculate salaries, various rates of pay for raises, promotions, demotions, and various amounts to be added to or taken away from salary or differentials.
Process transactions through extensive use of the Pay-Serv System by using the Special Salary Treatment Search Engine, the Title and Salary Plan advisory memorandum, and budget certifications from the Division of Budget.
Return checks to the Office of the State Comptroller in order to retrieve payments that are not due employees. Determine over payments, calculate Social Security and Medicare, other taxes, unrecoverable amounts and submit AC 230’s to the Office of the State Comptroller.
Return checks to the Office of the State Comptroller to be rewritten due to death of employee.
Write letters to the Director of Retirement Benefits, process form AC 1476 and AC 934, and assist next of kin.
Generate Hold List and Mail List for payroll office.
Resolve issues; correspond with individuals and various departments.
Communicate with auditors, other agencies and public institutions by phone or email.
Retrieve reports, bulletins and web-mail. Comply with orders from the State Payroll Services to perform various tasks.
Additional Comments Please reference the above EOA # in all correspondence.
• For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• If the number of interested candidates is three or fewer, the agency at its discretion may nominate a qualified employee for noncompetitive promotion under the provisions of Section 52.7 of the Civil Service Law.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.