Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Transfer Qualifications: Any Current Senior Recreation Therapist
Anyone eligible for a 70.1 transfer.
Promotional Opportunities: Anyone currently reachable on the Civil Service list.
Provisional Appointment: In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the qualifications below may be qualified for a provisional appointment.
Minimum Qualifications: You must be a qualified employee of New York State and have had three months of permanent competitive or 55-b/55-c service as follows:
as a Recreation Therapist, Recreation Therapist (Spanish Language), Recreation Therapist (Art), Recreation Therapist (Dance), or Recreation Therapist (Music).
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
This Senior Recreation Therapist will design, develop, implement, and deliver recreational therapy services to effect the physical, mental and/or social well-being of individuals receiving services. They will be responsible for the organization and direction of one or more therapeutic recreation programs including, but not limited to, sports, music, art, and social activities. Incumbents may also supervise lower level Recreation Therapists as well as other recreation program staff in the design, development, and/or delivery of recreation therapy services. Other duties as assigned. Position will require flexibility and willingness to ensure recreation opportunities exist during evening and weekend hours.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Function as a full member of the treatment team, relating well to professional, para-professional and direct care staff and their supervisors, as well as volunteers, families, service coordinators and individuals.
• Utilize a thorough, concise, accurate, and professional manner both verbally and in writing to communicate.
• Assist in developing and carrying out program services.
• Possess an understanding of behavior management, treatment techniques, and therapeutic use of recreation.
• Complete assignments in a timely manner.
• Ability to adjust work schedule to meet program and organizational needs.
• Possess a valid New York State driver's license.
• Complete other duties as assigned.
Additional Comments • All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Central Office at (518) 402-7644 or Email at Affirmative.Action@opwdd.ny.gov to obtain information and RA forms.
• OPWDD participates in Federal Loan Forgiveness Programs. For more information go to: www.studentaid.ed.gov/publicservice.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.