Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Appointment Method
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications listed below in order to be eligible for appointment.
Non-Competitive: A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Business Administration, Computer Information Systems, Computer Science, Criminal Justice, Cyber Security, Information Security, Information Systems, Information Technology, International or Public Affairs, Law, or Technology and two (2) years of specialized experience in the following:
• Establishing, managing or auditing cyber security and technical control programs with industry standard frameworks such as FFIEC, NIST, SANS, and ISO.
A Master’s Degree in one (1) of the related fields or a J.D. may substitute for one (1) year of specialized experience. A Ph.D. in one (1) of the related fields may substitute for two (2) years of specialized experience.
CSBS: Certified Cyber Security Examiner
Industry Designations (these are specifically cited in the CSBS Cyber Security Examiner Certification):
• Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP)
• Systems Security Certified Practitioner (SSCP)
• Certified Cloud Security Professional (CCSP)
• Certified Cyber Forensics Professional (CCFP)
• CSX Practitioner or CSX Specialist (CSXP,CSXS)
• Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA)
• Certified in Risk and Information Systems Control (CRISC)
• Certified in the Governance of Enterprise IT (CGEIT)
• Certified in Information Assurance (CIA)
• Sensitive Security Information, Certified (SSI)
• Certified in Cyber Warfare (CCW)
Duties Description The Department of Financial Services is seeking applicants to fill multiple positions of Financial Services Specialist 1 (Cyber Security) in the Capital Markets Division. Under the direct supervision of higher level staff, the Financial Services Specialist’s (Cyber Security) duties will include, but not be limited to, the following:
• Conduct full scope and target examinations in accordance with State and Federal Financial Institution Examination Council programs of Information Technology (IT) environments (i.e., systems management, electronic financial transactions, internet security, computer banking, etc.) at regulated institutions and technology service providers to ascertain safety and soundness of said environments and for compliance with the relevant laws and regulations such as, the Department’s first-in-the-nation Cybersecurity regulation, NYCRR Part 500.
• Determine adequacy of records, systems and controls governing financial services.
• Assess the systems supporting back-office operations (i.e., systems for trading and investment activities and other financial and insurer functions), and the automated systems providing the middle office and front office with the position, limit and other reports necessary to manage risk.
• Assist in the pre-planning and scoping for targeted examinations of regulated financial services entities.
• Contribute to writing and/or manage writing the IT/Cybersecurity portion of overall examination reports or target examination reports.
• Prepare and deliver findings of such examinations to higher-level Financial Services Specialist (Cybersecurity) and Department management.
• Review the policies and procedures relative to IT effects upon financial services institution operations.
• Discuss IT examination findings with higher-level Financial Services Specialist (Cybersecurity) and/or the examiner-in-charge and participate in meetings with other Department and examinee staff.
• Conduct and participate in training or assist in structuring and preparation of training Department staff on examination issues.
• Research new financial services and perform pre- and post-implementation reviews.
Additional Comments Positions located in NYC and Albany
Positions located within the New York City metropolitan area, as well as Suffolk, Nassau, Rockland, and Westchester Counties, are also eligible to receive an additional $3,026 annual downstate adjustment.
Travel required – percentage will vary dependent upon location and assignment.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
One Commerce Plaza
Notes on ApplyingTo Apply: Interested qualified candidates must submit a resume and letter of interest no later than November 23, 2017 to the email address listed below. Please include (Box FSSCS1) in the subject line of your email to ensure receipt of your application. Email submissions are preferred.
New York State Department of Financial Services
Office of Human Resources Management
One Commerce Plaza
99 Washington Avenue, Suite 2016
Albany, NY 12257
All candidates that apply may not be scheduled for an interview.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITIES ACT: REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONS
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Department of Financial Services is required to provide reasonable accommodation for known physical or mental limitations of an otherwise qualified applicant with a disability if an accommodation would enable the applicant to perform the essential functions of the job and the accommodation would not constitute an undue hardship on the operations of the agency.