Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
50 Wolf Rd.
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must possess a New York State Professional Engineer License and current registration. To be considered for permanent appointment, candidates must be reachable on the current Civil Service eligible list or be eligible for reassignment or transfer in accordance with Civil Service Law.
If a viable eligible list does not exist, a provisional appointment may be made in accordance with Civil Service Law. Candidates who accept a provisional appointment must take the next competitive examination and be reachable on the resultant eligible list in order to be considered for permanent appointment to the position.
The minimum requirements for taking the Promotional examination are:
A valid NYS Professional Engineer’s License with current registration and one year of permanent competitive service as an Assistant Engineer (Civil/Transportation)
The minimum requirements for taking the Open Competitive examination are:
A valid NYS Professional Engineer’s License with current registration.
One year of professional engineering experience with transportation projects related to highways/roadways, bridges, airports, waterways, or traffic management and safety systems.
*Under the New York State Education Department guidelines, all professional engineers must practice in their area(s) of competency or they may be subject to disciplinary action.
Duties Description The incumbents in these positions will work under the supervision of a Professional Engineer 2 (Civil/Structural), and may perform the following duties:
• Perform all types of structural analysis, including those of high degree of complexity relating to the design, estimating, and preparation of contract plans for new and replacement bridge projects.
• Investigate and provide fast track repair design and details for unanticipated or emergency structural conditions.
• Review structural drawings, details, specifications and estimates and initiate corrections.
• Serves on technical committees, when requested.
• Perform inspections and work on necessary reports in preparation of producing contract documents for structure rehabilitation.
• Serve as a Design Squad Leader or supervise the Design Squad in the absence of the designated Design Squad Leader.
• Requires Sealing and signing all Structural Designs performed.
• Provide expert oversight and quality assurance during structural fabrication and construction and in support of design activities involving these specialties:
Metals engineering, Concrete Engineering, Foundation Engineering and general construction, and Hydraulic Engineering
• Review and approve calculations and drawings for shop drawing, structural lifting operations, bridge erection, temporary structures, cofferdams, and other contractor submittals.
• Development and issuing bridge design and construction standards, specifications and Bridge Manual.
• Perform hydraulic and scour design and analyses for in-house and consultant projects.
• Provide Quality Assurance and manage statewide structures inspection, inventory and evaluation programs.
• Review overload permit applications including engineering analysis for superload permit applications
• Review and conduct Quality Assurance of technical designs and plans
• Reassignments within the Office of Structures to address immediate delivery, safety assurance, or inspection needs can be expected.
Responsibilities may include serving a role within the Incident Command System to support the Department’s response to regional and statewide emergency situations.
Additional Comments Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
50 Wolf Road, POD 4-3