Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting plus two years’ as a Senior Accountant, Financial Management – Debt or a bachelor’s degree in Accounting plus four years’ relevant professional accounting experience. Demonstrated ability interpreting legal documents.
Bachelor’s degree in Accounting plus two years’ as a Senior Accountant, Financial Management – Debt or a bachelor’s degree in Accounting plus four years’ relevant professional accounting experience, including application of generally accepted accounting principles and experience with financial statement preparation, financial systems, debt systems, and familiarity with bond transactions and bond documents. Two years supervisory experience. CPA license.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
• Intermediate knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles, including ability to determine applicability of FASB/GASB pronouncements and apply accordingly.
• Demonstrated ability to research bond related questions through review of bond documents.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Excellent mathematical skills.
• Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills.
• Demonstrated accuracy and attention to detail.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
• Strong interpersonal skills.
Duties Description Primary Purpose
The Senior Accountant II participates in the bond issuance process by reviewing bond documents, cashflows and closing documents; performing and analyzing various complex professional accounting functions; In addition, the Senior Accountant II is responsible for the preparation and review of financial statements; bond management activities, including debt service billing, monitoring and reporting, and the development and maintenance of financial systems.
• Enter and review for accuracy journal entries entered into the accounting system (e.g. grant receivables, audit, etc.).
• Create and review for accuracy debt amortization schedules in the debt tracking system for new bond issuances and for changes relevant to bond defeasances and redemptions.
• Update and review the outstanding debt tracking schedule for bond maturities, bond defeasances and redemptions, bond issuances, and the associated footnotes to ensure all changes to the debt outstanding has been captured on the schedule.
• Reconcile and review the reconciliation of the outstanding debt tracking schedule to the debt and accounting systems.
• Assist with the quarterly and annual bond issue financial statement first or second reviews.
• Ensure accuracy when performing reviews, identify and analyze issues, provide guidance and coordinate resolution as necessary.
• Work with the institution on payment of outstanding receivables.
• Research and analyze financial discrepancies between records, reports and systems and coordinate resolution.
• Coordinate interest rate swap receipts and payments with the respective swap counterparties.
• Perform complex financial calculations and financial analysis as directed.
• Assist in the development and maintenance of systems applications including the debt management system and various other system applications used to support ongoing bond management functions.
• Oversee the posting of bond interest in the debt system.
• Oversee the posting of the outstanding debt tracking schedule to the Intranet/Internet; perform testing to confirm accuracy of the data.
• Prepare and review the debt service bills/rentals, warrants, certifications, annual estimates and invoices for various fees.
• Review correspondence to the trustee advising of the delivery of debt service payments and associated investment instructions.
• Follow-up or oversee the follow-up with clients for debt service payments or fees that are not received when due. Provide direction to staff on pursuing outstanding receivables with clients, and provide direct support on conference calls if the client has not been responsive.
• Update and review schedules with debt related data (construction fund balances, debt by program, etc.) for reporting to management or external parties.
• Assist in the administration of public programs (reviewing schedules and reports, recording and tracking revenues, etc.).
• Assist in updating and reviewing arbitrage rebate calculation schedules to determine IRS liability; ensure calculations are reasonable and accurate.
• Prepare and review IRS notification forms for accuracy and timeliness.
• Prepare and review the reconciliation of defeasance fees deposited into the private institution general operating fund. Coordinate with the Senior Financial Analyst on any fees that have not been paid and the disposition of any remaining balances.
• Enter vouchers into the State Financial System for the payment of debt service, fees and State advances.
• Print checks for the bi-weekly check run and on request.
• Review the check deposits and deposit checks received by DASNY. When checks are received without any backup, provide guidance to staff on researching the origin of the payment and its purpose to determined where it should be deposited.
• Assist in and manage the administration of the bond transcript library.
• Work directly with employees, clients and trustees to research and resolve conflicts and problems.
• Provide significant assistance with tasks related to annual audits for our clients (e.g. CUNY, SUNY, NYS, etc.), such as updating or reviewing supporting schedules with year-end debt data and the preparation of year-end financial statements.
• Provide significant assistance for the DASNY annual audit including reviewing debt and derivative footnotes, analyzing the year-to-year change in certain balances and identifying the driving factors, preparing schedules supporting debt footnote disclosures, coordinating debt confirmations, providing all requested backup to the external auditors answering their questions and calculating debt, swap and arbitrage rebate accruals.
• Administer various credit enhancement and liquidity facility vehicles.
• Prepare and review reports created using JDEdwards, SunGard, Munease, BMS or other system applications.
• Prepare and review annual information/reports for the Public Authorities Accountability Act Report and the Office of the State Comptroller’s Public Authority Reporting Information System.
• Perform various support tasks in connection with the bond issuance function to include training on the review of bond documents, cashflows and closing documents under the supervision of a Senior Financial Analyst.
• Maintain and update systems applications/databases, test upgrades and perform disaster recovery testing.
• Reconcile data from various sources to PC applications, databases, and the general ledger.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• May supervise, train and evaluate employees.
• Assist with development, documentation and implementation of procedures.
• Assist with the assessment/development and implementation of internal controls, and participate in the review and testing of same.
• Assist other units during peak workload periods or for long-term assignments as needed.
• Undertake special assignments as directed.
• Maintain regular, consistent attendance and punctuality in accordance with DASNY policy.
• Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Cyber Security and Critical Infrastructure Coordination. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Additional Comments Supervision
Supervision of employees may be required.
Occasional travel may be required using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. Must be able to work overtime or extended hours as needed.
Standard office environment including the use of one or more of the following: PC, telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, scanner, electronic stapler, three-hole punch, date stamp, shredder.
DASNY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence and diversity.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingQualified candidates, please copy and paste the following in your browser to apply electronically: https://dasny.clearcompany.com/careers/jobs/dfad5690-bdff-4613-9d57-61615d3a70b5/apply?source=606927-CS-20928