Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
W. A. Harriman State Office Building Campus, Bldg. 5
Minimum Qualifications Candidates must be reachable on the Project Manager 3, G-27, Civil Service eligible list OR have one year of permanent competitive service as a Project Manager 3, G-27. Also open to NYS employees at or above G-25 who are eligible for transfer under Section 52.6 of the Civil Service Law. The transfer cannot be a second consecutive transfer resulting in an advancement of more than two grade levels. In order to qualify for Section 52.6 transfer, candidates must have one year of permanent competitive service in an administrative title as defined by Section 52.6. Examples of qualifying Section 52.6 titles include Business Systems Analyst 3, G-25; Project Manager 2, G-25; and Information Technology Specialist 4, G-25.
• Bachelor’s Degree or higher;
• Minimum of 4 years of experience managing complex projects;
• Strong interpersonal skills;
• Strong written and verbal communication abilities;
• Demonstrated management, analysis, scheduling, and organizational skills;
• PMP/PMI Experience.
Duties Description The Statewide Financial System (SFS) is New York State government's accounting and financial management system. This modern enterprise resource planning (ERP) system was built with the goal of enabling the State of New York to perform its fiscal and business management tasks more effectively, transparently, and efficiently than ever before. The SFS facilitates the management and flow of information between and among State agencies, State control agencies (the Division of the Budget and the Office of the State Comptroller), the State legislature, vendors doing business with New York State, and the general public.
The SFS is managed by a group of professionals who are dedicated to improving the financial management business processes of New York State agencies. The SFS Program is a fast-paced, customer-focused organization, with responsibility for a wide array of operational and project activities.
Under the direction of the Enterprise Architecture/Program Management (EA/PM) Manager, the incumbent of this position will be responsible for managing the Portfolio & Project Management Bureau. This includes building and managing project teams, status reporting on applicable projects within the SFS project portfolio, monitoring and managing project risk and ensuring quality control throughout the project lifecycle. The incumbent will provide consulting services to program staff involved in project management. The incumbent will supervise multiple teams in the area of SFS portfolio and project management, including release and change management projects. The incumbent may also supervise consultant staff assigned to projects.
Specific Duties Include:
• Coordinating with managers to assure that staff and consultants are assigned to achieve priority goals within required timeframes.
• Assisting in the preparation of portfolio, program and project reports and metrics for the Joint Governance Board (JGB), Change Control Board (CCB) and other major stakeholders, as well as for SFS use.
• Providing strategic project support, including serving as a project manager.
• Acting as Project Coordinator for SFS business calendar events.
• Managing the change and release management process by which changes to SFS are accepted, analyzed, authorized and implemented. Ensuring that authorized changes are prioritized, planned, tested, implemented, documented and reviewed in a controlled manner.
• Analyzing, supporting and reporting on the SFS investment portfolio to promote the management of all programs and projects to achieve SFS enterprise goals. Managing an accurate and robust project repository, inclusive of project scope, financials, anticipated benefits, and accurate and up to date status.
• Coaching, mentoring, and developing subordinate staff.
Additional Comments You are advised that, should you accept a job offer with SFS, you may be required to be fingerprinted.
SFS is the organization that manages the enterprise financial system that supports the business of New York State government. SFS is an independent entity jointly governed by the Office of the State Comptroller and the Division of the Budget.
As one of the largest public sector enterprise financial systems in the United States, SFS processes an average of 22,000 voucher transactions daily and about $150 billion in payments per year using Oracle PeopleSoft technology. SFS staff provides extensive operational support to over 70 NYS agencies and authorities. SFS continues to work on major initiatives to expand the use of system functionality and works collaboratively with agencies and the NYS Office of Information Technology Services clusters that support IT systems across the State.
Currently, we are looking for motivated, highly qualified professionals who can lead and support ongoing transformational statewide information technology projects. Working as part of the team at SFS provides a great opportunity to be part of a mission driven organization that strongly supports its employees’ professional growth and development through training opportunities and knowledge sharing. You would also be able to see your work directly support the transformation of business processes supporting NYS government.
More About SFS
We are an innovative team of experts specializing in enterprise resource planning, financial operations, business analysis, information technology, project management, service delivery, training, change management and stakeholder relations. Since our inception, our focus has been to meet our customers’ financial processing needs, ensure the integrity of State financial data and lead future migrations from existing agency financial systems into one integrated financial management system.
To learn more about SFS, visit our website at www.sfs.ny.gov.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.
Notes on ApplyingTo apply, please send a cover letter and resume by e-mail, fax, or post office mail. Please include your current Civil Service title and grade and be sure to indicate that you are applying for the position of Project Manager 3, Ref. #17-21.