Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Qualifications
Bachelor's degree plus seven years relevant post-license experience, including four years supervisory experience or successful completion of designated supervisor training during probationary period. Must be licensed and registered in NYS as a Professional Engineer. Must possess a valid driver’s license. Knowledge of the design and construction of educational, hospital and courthouse facilities. Mechanical Engineer with HVAC design experience is preferred.
• High degree of technical proficiency and expertise.
• Knowledge of relevant code requirements and industry standards.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
• Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Comprehensive knowledge of management principles.
• Proficiency in PC applications such as Outlook, Excel, Access, Word and PowerPoint.
Duties Description Primary Purpose
The Senior Engineer oversees and/or performs highly technical functions, including engineering, materials testing, design review and monitoring of the quality of construction performed by architects, engineers, consultants, contractors and sub-contractors on a variety of DASNY projects.
• Assign, manage, and prioritize workload and allocate work among staff.
• Manage the project development during the pre-design and design phases, including:
o Meeting with clients and consultants and providing assistance in defining project scope, schedule and budget.
o Reviewing and approving the technical approach and construction documents during each phase of design.
o Managing all aspects of consultant contracts including review and approval of consultant requests for payment, amendments, and extensions of schedule and contract closeout.
• Manage and review consultant engineering design work.
• Perform independent, in-depth investigations of specific problems including engineering analysis and recommendations.
• Consult with regulatory agencies regarding interpretations and applications.
• Review highly technical designs, plans, specifications, addenda and change orders.
• Review highly technical architectural/engineering reports and studies.
• Assist in the preparation of internal design work and design modifications and seal construction documents of internal design work as required.
• Provide technical assistance and recommendations to unit staff, Project Management staff and client representatives.
• Monitor unit correspondence, design reviews, trip reports and feasibility studies. Resolve any issues identified in these reports.
• Meet with consultants to review and assist them in their submissions.
• Coordinate with Construction project management to resolve project and/or program issues.
• Assist in the development, compilation and distribution of technical data.
• Monitor schedule for construction site visit activities.
• Assist in the resolution/settlement of technical disputes/differences or claims as needed.
• Develop and monitor performance measures and unit goals and objectives.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• Train and evaluate employees.
• Develop, document and implement policies and procedures.
• Assess, develop and implement internal controls, and oversee the review and testing of same.
• Undertake special assignments as directed.
• Must maintain regular attendance in accordance with DASNY attendance and leave policies.
• Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Cyber Security and Critical Infrastructure Coordination. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Additional Comments Supervision
Supervision of employees is required.
Weekly travel is required, ranging from one to three days per week depending on workload, using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. Requires exposure to weather and temperature extremes, loud noises, heights (climbing ladders, scaffolding, etc.) and other work safety hazards (chemicals, fumes, etc.) of a construction site. Requires time-pressured decision-making. Must be able to work overtime or extended work hours as needed.
Official station is a standard office environment, including the use of one or more of the following: PC, printer, copier, electronic stapler/hole punch/date stamp, telephone, fax machine, shredder, scanner. Requires the use of field equipment to conduct site visit observations and associated testing.
**Position rates additional $5,054 annual location differential**
DASNY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence and diversity.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.