Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Minimum Qualifications
Bachelor's degree plus five years experience performing estimating for large-scale and/or highly complex construction projects including expertise in line item estimating, take offs, and cost estimating methodologies.
Bachelor's degree in Architecture, Engineering, Construction Management or a construction related field strongly preferred, plus seven or more years experience performing and/or overseeing estimating for large-scale and/or highly complex construction projects, including expertise in line item estimating, take offs, and cost estimating methodologies, as well as two years supervisory experience. Experience in all disciplines of construction cost estimating, including experience with various project delivery methods such as design-bid-build, CM at risk, design-build, and job order contracting in both the public and private markets. Working knowledge of current market conditions including pricing conventions and trends. Experience working with estimating software such as Classic On-Screen Takeoff, Timberline or RSMeans and knowledge of Primavera Contract Manager and P6 project management systems.
• Demonstrated analytical and conceptual skills.
• Excellent oral and written communications skills.
• Strong interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
• Demonstrated ability to read and understand construction related documents.
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and exercise sound judgment.
• Proficiency in PC applications such as Microsoft Outlook, Excel, Word and Access.
• Demonstrated organizational skills and ability to prioritize.
Duties Description Primary Purpose
The Senior Project Estimator performs the day-to-day activities of the construction cost estimating function, including reviewing and analyzing schematic, design development and construction document submissions prepared by design consultants to verify estimated costs. Project types vary from small, single trade to highly complex, and include new construction as well as rehabilitation and site work. Highly complex projects have a high degree of variables including, but not limited to, budget, schedule, number of contracts, management approach, delivery method, Wicks Law, level of service, phasing, customer orientation, staffing, labor issues (including Project Labor Agreements), location and site access, design and/or construction complexity, environmental issues and other non-traditional projects. The Senior Project Estimator exercises independent judgment in assisting the design and construction phase managers in cost estimating aspects of projects.
• Review schematic, design development, and construction document submissions prepared by design consultants for completeness and current market value, and verify estimated costs. This includes reviewing quantity take-offs and pricing for accuracy, and reconciliation of estimates.
• Prepare estimates for in-house and third-party designs on small projects.
• Communicate findings and recommendations regarding prepared/reviewed cost estimates verbally and in writing.
• Identify scope elements and scheduling needs which may have significant budgetary impacts, evaluate impacts and recommend alternatives.
• Meet with staff, consultants, and client agency representatives to discuss and resolve cost estimating issues.
• Develop cost recommendations and provide assistance for value engineering.
• Prepare bid tabulation analysis and participate in post-bid investigations.
• Review cost proposals associated with change orders.
• Participate in consultant selections and evaluations.
• Serve as the cost estimating term consultant manager on large or special projects by overseeing the activities of outside consultants including negotiation of level of effort and pricing for each assignment, as well as review and processing of payments.
• Document cost trends and perform project cost analyses.
• Assist with cost estimating training for Construction Division staff.
• Assist with cost estimate specifications and templates as needed.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
• May train and evaluate employees.
• Assist Management in the development of policies.
• Develop, document and implement procedures.
• Assess, develop and implement internal controls, and oversee the review and testing of same.
• Undertake special assignments as directed.
• Must maintain regular attendance in accordance with DASNY attendance and leave policies.
• Must adhere to the NYS Information Security Policy Standards established and issued by the Office of Cyber Security and Critical Infrastructure Coordination. (Standards can be found on the Intranet).
Additional Comments Supervision
Supervision of employees may be required.
Weekly travel may be required, depending on assignment, using public transportation, DASNY vehicle, rental vehicle or personal vehicle. This travel may include overnight stays at public accommodations and related establishments. Requires exposure to weather and temperature extremes, loud noises, heights (climbing ladders, scaffolding, etc.) and work safety hazards (chemicals, fumes, etc.). Requires physical mobility (movement from place to place), strength, dexterity and coordination. Requires endurance, concentration (prolonged physical activity with limited opportunity to rest) and complex and time-pressured decision-making. Requires the ability to see, hear, smell, touch and distinguish colors. Must be available to occasionally work a modified work schedule or extended workday hours.
May be standard office environment or a construction site. Requires the use of one or more of the following: PC, telephone, fax machine, printer, copier, scanner, electronic stapler/hole punch/date stamp, shredder.
DASNY is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer committed to excellence and diversity.
All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.