Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications PREFFERED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials, tools and equipment used in the trade or trades to which assigned
• Working knowledge of the methods, materials and tools used in making mechanical and routine electrical repairs to heating, ventilating, air-conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, pneumatic control systems and direct digital and other microprocessor controlled systems.
• Working knowledge of safety standards and procedures
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Will be required to train and supervise others.
• Will be required to plan and lay out work, develop time and material lists for projects assigned
• Will be required to read and interpret plans, codes, diagrams, architectural blueprints and specifications.
• Basic computer skills preferred
• Valid NYS driver’s License
Candidate much be reachable on current NY State Civil Service List, currently in title, or eligible for provisional appointment.
Provisional appointment qualifications are:
A. An Associate Degree in Plant Utilities Technology or the equivalent. In order to determine whether a specific degree is equivalent to the Plant Utilities Technology program, the major course of study must include a minimum of 30 college semester credit hours in any combination of the following course areas:
• Heating, Ventilation Boiler and Steam Systems and Air-Conditioning Industrial Electricity
• Electrical Circuits Electric Utility Systems
• Fluid Mechanics Plant Operation and Technical Communications Maintenance
• Thermal Dynamics Industrial Instrumentation
• Physics and Control
• Utility Refrigeration Industrial Safety
• Mechanics Environmental Air Quality
• Blueprint Reading and Sketching
One year of satisfactory hands on experience in the operation and maintenance of boilers and/or auxiliary equipment or HVAC equipment in commercial, industrial or institutional facilities. (Experience limited to residential applications is not considered qualifying.)
B. Four years of such experience and 30 college semester credit hours in any combination of the courses listed in A above.
Duties Description POSITION DESCRIPTION:
As a Plant Utilities Engineer 1, on an assigned shift, you would operate, maintain, troubleshoot, repair, test, calibrate, mechanical and electrical equipment providing heat, hot water, ventilation, air conditioning, electrical distribution, fire alarm and sprinkler systems in a safe and efficient manner in campus’s or residential settings.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Operate steam and hot water boilers including lighting off, firing, cleaning and shutting down systems
• Operate central and auxiliary computers which monitor, test, control and operate boilers, auxiliary equipment and HVAC systems.
• Service and maintain residential heating and air conditioning equipment.
• Conduct boiler, HVAC, and water systems testing, analyzing results and adding chemicals to maintain proper residuals in boiler and piping systems.
• Operate large central absorption, centrifugal, screw driven and hermetic chiller systems and other refrigeration equipment. Duties include starting, regulating and troubleshooting to maintain proper temperature.
• Will be required to perform operations and maintenance within an asbestos environment and/or supervise any asbestos removal project being carried out by other employees or private contractors.
• Handle various types of hazardous materials, such as refrigerants, Freon, gas, fuel oil, solvents, antifreeze, biocides, nitrates, ethanol, acids, caustic soda, regulated waste and refuse.
• Respond to incidents having potential environmental impact and/or safety concerns, such as chemical spills, oil spills and blowouts and may be called upon to implement evacuation plans in emergency situations
• Work in confined space situations using personal protective equipment and supervise others working in confined space using personal protective equipment
• May requires daily travel within the district, as well as some travel within NY State to assist other districts with special projects
• Candidate will be trained in the operation and maintenance procedures as related to Asbestos Containing Materials.
Additional Comments • For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Employees on long term leave can bid on positions but must be able to report to work within fourteen (14) days and be able to perform the essential functions of their positions with or without reasonable accommodation (RA). If an employee believes that he or she needs a reasonable accommodation, they should contact the NYS OPWDD Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Central Office at (518) 402-7644 or Email at Affirmative.Action@opwdd.ny.gov to obtain information and RA forms.
• OPWDD participates in Federal Loan Forgiveness Programs. For more information go to: www.studentaid.ed.gov/publicservice.
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.