Note: For questions about the job posting, please contact the agency that posted this position by using the contact information provided on the "Contact" tab for the position.
Minimum Qualifications Transfer Qualifications: Any current Physician’s Assistant
Any permanent employee eligible for a 70.1 transfer.
Anyone eligible to take the Civil Service examination for Physician’s Assistant
Promotional Opportunities: Anyone currently reachable on the Civil Service List.
Provisional Appointment: In the event that there is not a valid eligible list, candidates who meet the minimum qualifications may be qualified for a provisional appointment:
Note: If you are appointed provisionally, you must take the next scheduled Civil Service examination for this title and your score must be reachable on the resulting eligible list before you can be permanently appointed. If you do not pass the examination or achieve a reachable score, you may not be retained.
Minimum Qualifications: You must be licensed and currently registered as a Physician Assistant by the New York State Education Department or possess a limited permit to practice as a Physician Assistant in New York State.
Duties Description In a clinical setting, the incumbent will provide diagnostic and therapeutic medical care and services under the direct supervision of a licensed physician. Typical duties will include:
• Caring for the acute and chronic medical conditions of developmentally disabled adults - many of whom have behavioral problems and psychiatric illness - in a residential setting
• Works with psychiatrist to review his consultations of patients with treatment team. Provides psychiatric medication data for the behavior Support Plan (BSP) in a timely manner to be reviewed by the Behavior Management Committee (BMC). Writes all psychiatric orders.
• Works with the Infection Control/Medical Clinic Nurse to provide assistance as needed.
• Participation in committee work as needed.
• Knowledge of BLS with AED resuscitation
• Orders all appropriate treatment regimens and maintaining monthly orders as required for the nursing staff and the direct care staff.
• Performs annual medical assessments and physical exams of individuals and orders and interprets needed diagnostic tests.
• Maintains thorough medical record documentation in an established format (problem-oriented) with progress notes accurately reflecting current medical issues and treatments
• Updating the supervising physician/Medical Director on acute problems or unresolved chronic issues affecting the health and well-being of the individuals served
• Initiate any outside consultations with sub-specialists as needed and work with these consultants to obtain needed tests and procedures; assist in the preparation of court documents when obtaining consent for invasive treatments.
• Instruct unit personnel and individuals (where applicable) on specific treatment procedures.
• Participating in multidisciplinary team meetings as required.
• Maintaining a leadership role in patient advocacy to obtain the accepted standard of care in the treatment of the individuals served. This also means following Sunmount policies as they apply to medical issues, particularly the blood borne pathogen and infection control policies. This will include assisting the infection control/compliance officer in training and enforcing all aspects of the blood borne pathogen policy.
Additional Comments • For CSEA positions: Local Bidding Agreements will be honored.
• Preference will be given to OPWDD employees impacted by closures. If you are being impacted by closure, please indicate this on your resume/cover letter.
• All OPWDD employees must be eligible and maintain eligibility for full and unconditional participation in the Medicare and Medicaid programs. Continued employment will depend on maintaining eligibility.
• OPWDD IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
• Position may be eligible for Loan Forgiveness via the Public Service Loan Forgiveness program:
• For more information on PSLF, please visit www.studentAid.gov/publicservicePursuant to
Some positions may require additional credentials or a background check to verify your identity.